Change of Use & Certificates of Occupancy

All occupied properties are required to have a Certificate of Occupancy that describes the property, its use and provides contact details for the occupant.

Properties Without an Occupancy Certificate

Many older properties have been occupied before such requirements existed and may now need such a certificate. Such properties will not be required to comply with current construction Codes so long as they achieve basic health and safety standards, and their use and occupation is compliant with current Zoning Codes and City Ordinances.

Changes of Occupant

If a business moves into an existing property and carries out a similar business within the same use class, then only a basic health and safety inspection of the property will be required in order for a Certificate of Occupancy to be issued, rather than compliance with the relevant Codes for that use, assuming the original use was appropriate. An example of this would be a change of restaurant to a different type of restaurant, rather than a restaurant to a bar.

Changes of Use or Occupancy

If a property changes it's "use class" then its new use will need to comply with the appropriate construction, zoning and City codes required for that use.

Residential Certificates of Occupancy

New homes are issued with a Certificate of Occupation and Completion if they satisfy a final building inspection. If a new home is occupied without a final inspection, that home can still be inspected and issued with a certificate if inspected within three years of its completion, provided that it was initially issued a building permit since 2005.

Homes older than that will not be issued with a certificate, and it is advised those properties are appraised by a certified home inspector. However, if basic health and safety violations are suspected, such properties will be inspected when requested in order for that occupancy to continue.

Related Documents